Saturday, September 12, 2009

Savvy Savers Tip

Hey you Savvy Savers,

Yes, the opening line was cheesy, but lets be honest, living on a military paycheck forces us all to be savvy savers. Every so often I will post an item that myself, my friends and you, the reader has discovered to be the cheapest, yet efficient product in its catagory. This week's catagory.... DETERGENT. I don't know about you but, I do laundry alot! I don't even have kids! The in and out of cami's to civilian clothes 'dance' the hubby does throughout the week makes my laundry pile out of control! Between that, my own clothes and my little obsession with putting juuuuust a little bit extra detergent in to boost the freshness does a number on the amount of money I spend on that magic stuff each year. This year, I have literally tried every single detergent you can think of. The winner? Purex.

I had never heard of Purex until I found myself browsing the isles of the home cleaning section at a local commisary. When I saw it I thought, "Hmm, Its waaaaaay too cheap.... It probably doesnt work." I figured it had to be a second rate product that I would have to use double off each use, to be sold at THAT price. It was almost half the others. Ok, maybe not half, but at the very least 5-8 dollars cheaper than the other brands. AND the good news???? It works! You can buy a "96 loads Ultra Concentrate Purex" detergent for around $9.89!!

Purex gets a round of applause from me.

Happy Saving!

Jennifer

2 comments:

  1. I think Purex works really well and that is my number one choice as well. However, whenever money is really tight I will use Xtra. It'll wash about 44 loads for around 3 dollars. It really helps out to get you through the tight pay check. I should mention it doesn't work as well as Purex but it gets the job done.

    Another thing I have started to use for Cammies and "greens" is to put a half cup of baking soda and white vinegar in the wash. I know this might sound weird but it will get rid of that weird smell that they tend to get.

    Happy Washing ~ Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I used to drive myself crazy trying to get that "weird" smell off of my husbands cammies. He is out now but I wish I would have read this a year ago. Thanks for the tip.


    Monica P.

    ReplyDelete